Friday, February 15, 2013

A Tropical Voice in the Idiom


An analysis of author and political activist Aimé Fernand Césaire provides an intriguing change in perspective to Euro-centered Surrealism. Born in Martinique as Surrealism emerged as a separate entity from Dada, Césaire became an alternate voice in not only the arts world but politics. His life spanned nearly a century, and his work encompassed poetry, prose and drama as he explored not only Surrealism but Modernism as well, while at the same time working politically to free colonial entities struggling to emerge from the racist imperialism imposed upon them by the European continent.  Césaire was born to modest circumstances but as a promising young student earned a scholarship to attend the prestigious Lycée Louis le Grand in Paris, where he met African students Léopold Senghor and Léon Damas. Together they founded the student magazine Etudiant Noir, and developed the concept of “Negritude,” affirming African heritage and speaking out against colonialism.  This perspective was outlined in his 1939 Cahier d'un retour au pays natal, published in the journal Volontés. It is a long, autobiographical piece of intermixed prose and poetry, and in it Césaire lambasts European culture while claiming his Caribbean and African heritage, using natural and dream imagery in vivid juxtaposition to historic events.

Césaire’s poetry eventually attracted the attention of Andre Bréton, who journeyed to Martinique to try to convince him to join the Surrealists.  The Caribbean-African poet changed the face, literally, of Surrealism as he published two books of poetry influenced by the movement. One of them had a title based on a poem published by Guillaume Apollonaire in 1948 - “Soleil cou coupé” (Sun Cut Throat) was based on “Zone” from Apollonaire’s Alcools:

You walk toward Auteuil you want to go home on foot
To sleep among your festishes from Oceania and Guinea
They are Christs of another form and another faith
They are lesser Christs of obscure hopes
Farewell farewell
Sun cut throat

There is speculation that Césaire may have even been more influenced by an earlier version of the same poem by Apollonaire:

The sun lies yonder it’s a sliced throat
As perhaps one day some of the poor whom I have met
The sun scares me, it sheds blood all over Paris

Apollonaire was intrigued by African and primitive art, and no doubt would have been further fascinated by Césaire’s work and its roots in African mysticism. Surrealist Benjamin Peret certainly was, gushing enthusiastically about the Caribbean artist in an introduction to “Cahier,” “For the first time there resounds a tropical voice in our idiom, not one to flaunt an exotic poetry […] but to make resplendent an authentic poetry.” Peret continued enthusiastically, “Césaire is more than the interpreter of the natural tropical habitat of Martinique, he is a part of it (Davis 88).”

Césaire’s poem “At the Locks of the Void,” speaks with the voice of the earth and those closest to it, oppressed by a colonizing, imperialistic culture that is oblivious and brutal. The poet “sings with a voice still caught up in the babbling of elements and they attack “Europe patrols my veins like a pack of filariae at the stroke of midnight. To think that their philosophies tried to provide them with morals. That ferocious race won’t have put up with it.”


AT THE LOCKS OF THE VOID

Aimé Fernand Césaire

In the foreground and in longitudinal flight a dried-up brook drowsy roller of obsidian pebbles. In the background a decidedly not calm architecture of torn down burgs of eroded mountains on whose glimpsed phantom serpents chariots a cat's-eye and alarming constellations are born. It is a strange firefly cake hurled into the gray face of time, a vast scree of shards of ikons and blazons of lice in the beard of Saturn. On the right very curiously standing against the squamous wall of crucified butterfly wings open in majesty a gigantic bottle whose very long golden neck drinks a drop of blood in the clouds. As for me I am no longer thirsty. It gives me pleasure to think of the world undone like an old copra mattress like an old vodun necklace like the perfume of a felled peccary. I am no longer thirsty. All heads belong to me. It is sweet to be gentle as a lamb. It is sweet to open the great sluicegates of gentleness:

                                          through the staggered sky
                                          through the exploded stars
                                          through the tutelary silence
                                          from very far beyond myself I come toward you
                                          woman sprung from a beautiful laburnum
                                          and your eyes wounds barely closed
                                          on your modesty at being born

It is I who sings with a voice still caught up in the babbling of elements. It is sweet to be a piece of wood a cork a drop of water in the torrential waters of the end and of the new beginning. It is sweet to doze off in the shattered heart of things. I no longer have any sort of thirst. My sword made from a shark's-tooth smile is becoming terribly useless. My mace is very obviously out of season and out of play. Rain is falling. It is a crisscross of rubble, it is a skein of iron for reinforced concrete, it is an incredible stowage of the invisible by first-rate ties, it is a branchwork of syphilis, it is the diagram of a brandy bender, it is the graphic representation of a seismic floodtide, it is a conspiracy of dodders, it is the nightmare's head impaled on the lance point of a mob made for peace and for bread.

I advance to the region of blue lakes. I advance to the region of sulphur springs
I advance to my crateriform mouth toward which have I struggled enough? What have I to discard? Everything by god everything. I am stark naked. I have discarded everything. My genealogy. My widow. My companions. I await the boiling, I await the baptism of sperm. I await the wingbeat of the great seminal albatross supposed to make a new man of me. I await the immense tap, the vertiginous slap that will consecrate me as a knight of a plutonian order. I await in the depths of my pores the sacred intrusion of the benediction.

And suddenly it is the outpouring of great rivers
it is the friendship of toucans' eyes
it is the fulminating erection of virgin mountains
I am pregnant with my despair in my arms
I am pregnant with my hunger in my arms and my disgust in my mouth.
I am invested. Europe patrols my veins like a pack of filariae at the stroke of midnight.
To think that their philosophies tried to provide them with morals. That ferocious race won't have put up with it.

Europe pig iron fragment
Europe low tunnel oozing a bloody dew
Europe old bag Europe
Europe old dog Europe worm-drawn coach
Europe peeling tattoo Europe your name is a raucous clucking and a muffled shock

I unfold my handkerchief it is a flag
I have donned my beautiful skin
I have adjusted my beautiful clawed paws

Europe
I hereby join all that powders the sky with its insolence all that is loyal and fraternal all that has the courage to be eternally new all that knows how to yield its heart to the fire all that has the strength to emerge from an inexhaustible sap all that is calm and certain
All that is not you
Europe
eminent name of the turd

The poem speaks to the issues that dominate Césaire’s work – the beauty and futility of a mystical people, of eroding serenity in the face of violent, obscene destruction:

In the foreground and in longitudinal flight a dried-up brook drowsy roller of obsidian pebbles. In the background a decidedly not calm architecture of torn down burgs of eroded mountains on whose glimpsed phantom serpents chariots a cat’s-eye and alarming constellations are born. It is a strange firefly cake hurled into the gray face of time, a vast scree of shards of ikons of blazons of lice in the beard of Saturn.

The visual imagery of his last line in that stanza provokes allusions to both chronological indifference to the fires of suffering, tossed irritatingly but insignificantly into the "beard of Saturn." Césaire references ancient mythology with Saturn's beard (http://www.crystalinks.com/saturnmyth.html) - Saturn, or Chronos, represents the personification of time, pestered with the people who inhabit its earthly manifestations.

The futility of grace in an oppressed and ravaged people against the monster that is Europe is expressed in multiple ways:

My sword made from a shark’s-tooth smile is becoming terribly useless. My mace is very obviously out of season and out of play. Rain is falling.

What have I to discard? Everything by god everything. I am stark naked. I have discarded everything. My genealogy. My widow. My companions. I await the boiling, I await the baptism of sperm. I await the wingbeat of the great seminal albatross supposed to make a new man of me.

I am pregnant with my despair in my arms
I am pregnant with my hunger in my arms and my disgust in my mouth.
I am invested. Europe patrols my veins like a pack of filariae at the stroke of midnight.

Césaire portrayed the suffering of the African nations destroyed by the slave trade in many of his works, and the lines above illustrate the effects of that barbarity against the humans it exploited.

But as the poem closes, the tone is defiant, and Europe is ripped up into bits and pieces of irrelevance:

Europe pig iron fragment
Europe low tunnel oozing a bloody dew
Europe old bag Europe
Europe old dog Europe worm-drawn coach
Europe peeling tattoo Europe your name is a raucous clucking and a muffled shock

And the poet rallies to proud resistance:

I unfold my handkerchief it is a flag
I have donned my beautiful skin
I have adjusted my beautiful clawed paws

I hereby join all that powders the sky with its insolence all that is loyal and fraternal all that has the courage to be eternally new all that knows how to yield its heart to the fire all that has the strength to emerge from an inexhaustible sap all that is calm and certain
All that is not you

Before delivering a final epithet for his enemies:

Europe
eminent name of the turd

Césaire also wrote drama, including a highly intriguing adaption of Shakespeare’s The Tempest. Césaire’s version, Une Tempête, incorporates elements of African sorcery, racial stereotypes and the natural world. Well worth a future read.




Davis, Gregson, Aimé Césaire. Cambridge, U.K.; New York, NY, Cambridge University Press, 1997.

No comments:

Post a Comment